Whether you are strolling down the aisles in the supermarket, or searching for baby nappies online you will encounter hundreds of different nappy brands. But how do you choose between these? And how do you find the best solution for you and your baby? We do not have the right answer to that question, but we can provide you with some (hopefully useful) information so that you feel well equipped when choosing your future nappy brand.
What’s important to you?
It is important to know that sustainability is so much more than how materials are used. It is about the entire life cycle of a baby nappy - from raw materials and ingredients to packaging, production processes, distribution, use, and disposal. No two nappy brands are alike. They all have different focus areas, highlight different product features, and vary in “greenness”. What is important to you and your family? Is eco-friendliness of high importance to you? Or is quality and performance what you seek in a baby nappy? OR more likely both? And what about the finances – how much do you want to spend on nappies each month? Cause let’s face it, you will be using a lot of them.
There a plenty of things to consider, and as parents ourselves, we know that beyond our interest in keeping both our baby and nature safe, we also demand that nappies do precisely what they are invented for - that they perform and keep our baby dry, and comfortable at all times. Luckily eco-friendliness, comfort, and high performance can in fact go hand-in-hand.
Know your symbols!
One of the best and easiest ways to check whether a nappy brand is sustainable is to look at its certificates. Certificates from official certification organizations are solid proofs and guarantee the safe use and eco-friendliness of baby products. Some of the most well-known and important certifications to know and look for are the Nordic Swan Ecolabel, the EU Ecolabel, Asthma-Allergy Nordic, the FSC™ (Forest Stewardship Council) as well as the Dermatological Tested symbol.
An example of a symbol you really would want to know is the Nordic Swan Ecolabel. Maybe you already know it, maybe you have heard about it, but the symbol guarantees that a nappy contains renewable raw materials and is free from optical brighteners, perfume, and lotion. The demands for products with the Nordic Swan Ecolabel are very high, setting strict standards for the environment, health, and quality in all relevant phases of a product's lifecycle. Being approved by the Nordic Swan Ecolabel is a long process that requires a great amount of documentation. Therefore, you can trust products with this symbol to be safe for your baby’s skin as well as nature. See all Bambo Nature’s certifications.
Our top 3 advice on how to make sure a nappy is safe:
- What is the nappy made from? Do the natural raw materials come from sustainable sources?
- How is the nappy produced? (energy use, waste handling, use of chemicals, etc.)
- Which certifications have the product and production facility attained?
How to sustainably use and dispose of nappies
While manufacturers of baby nappies have a huge responsibility to both you, your baby, and the planet in general, there are several things you can do yourself to minimize your impact on the environment. By being sustainable in the way you use and dispose of baby nappies you are already an important step closer toward a more responsible consumption.
Our top 5 tips:
- Make sure your baby is always dry to minimize nappy rash, but only change your baby as often as necessary (= use of fewer nappies and less waste)
- Check the wetness indicator – this will tell you when it is time to change the diaper
- Make sure to choose the right size diaper for your child (to prevent excessive use of materials and avoid leakages)
- Remember to recycle the packaging – goes in the bin for reusable plastic
- Dispose of the nappies according to local guidelines (check with your local authorities to find out how nappy waste should be disposed of in your country).